Many people may suffer from the problem of dry mouth, which is a pathological condition that requires treatment immediately without waiting, and the main reason for this is the insufficient secretion of salivary glands, which makes the patient always feel dry in his mouth, his thirst, and his need to drink water, and it is also associated with many negative repercussions on the patient’s condition.
How does dry mouth occur?
Deficiency in the functioning of the salivary glands, which results in less production of saliva, and thus a dry mouth, cracked lips, bad breath, and a throat that constantly needs to be moistened with water. But in fact, there must be immediate medical intervention before there can be serious negative effects on a person’s overall health.
Symptoms of dry mouth
There are a group of symptoms that affect the patient through which he can know that he has dry mouth, so he can start looking for appropriate solutions and treatments ..which are:
– Saliva becomes very sticky.
– Permanent feeling of dryness in the throat and mouth.
– Bad smell.
– He may find it difficult to chew and swallow food
– Hoarseness may occur.
– He may have difficulty speaking.
– The pharynx may swell.
– Dryness of the tongue and the appearance of cracks on its surface.
– Chapped lips
– Those who suffer from dryness will not be able to wear dentures as they will find it uncomfortable.
– Not feeling the taste of many foods.
* Did you know that dry mouth has other negative dimensions, as it will lead to a layer of plaque on the teeth, cavities, and other diseases and infections, as saliva has many functions, the most important of which is cleaning and disinfecting the mouth and teeth.
What causes dry mouth?
In fact, there are a number of causes that lead to dry mouth, including:
– As mentioned above, this occurs when the salivary glands slow down in producing enough saliva.
– It may also occur due to the effect of some medicines.
– It can happen due to some diseases.
– Aging is one of the main and most common causes, as the efficiency of the glands decreases and thus dehydration occurs.
The most common medication that causes dry mouth
Among the most important medications that cause dryness in the mouth are analgesics and drugs used in the treatment of diarrhea, diuretics, sedatives, and asthma treatments in general.. The dehydration that occurs due to the medication may be temporary, i.e. a side condition that goes away with its end, and it may continue after that, and here medical intervention is necessary.
In this context, it must be noted that those who undergo chemical treatments will be at risk of developing dry mouth, because the substances used damage the glands and cancel their role.
Diseases that lead to dry mouth
There are a group of diseases that lead to dry mouth, including:
1 – When large amounts of fluid are lost in the body due to chronic vomiting, severe diarrhea, or excessive sweating, in these cases saliva secretion becomes less, which causes dehydration.
2 – People who suffer from diabetes always feel that their mouth is dry, so you see them drinking water frequently and at frequent intervals, as the high level of sugar in the blood leads to a decrease in the functioning of the salivary glands.
3 – Those who suffer from cystic fibrosis will find that they suffer from dry mouth, and this disease affects the digestive system and the respiratory system in particular, and it is hereditary.
4 – Those who suffer from Sjogren’s syndrome, which works to disrupt the functions of the salivary glands and leads to inflammation, and not only them, but many diseases related to autoimmune that lead to dry mouth, the most famous of which is AIDS.
Nerve damage leads to dry mouth
Whoever has suffered damage to his nerves will inevitably suffer from dry mouth because the salivary glands stop or slow down from functioning, as they usually work after receiving the order from the nerves.
In this context, it must be noted that nerves may be damaged due to many reasons, including wrong surgery, stroke, and others.
Smoking is harmful to the salivary glands
Smoking, especially excessive smoking, severely damages the salivary glands.
How is dry mouth eliminated?
A potentially dangerous condition that must be disposed of immediately. Is this possible?
– This can be done when determining the disease from which the patient suffers. Does he have diabetes? Does he take medications that lead to this? In the event that this is the reason, the medication must be changed immediately or stopped.
– It must be compensated by drinking plenty of fluids such as water, juice, and others.
– Products recommended by the doctor supervising the case and that moisturize the mouth should be used at all times.
– Do not rely on foods that have a high salt content.
– Drink water throughout the time and while eating.
– Eating gum, as chewing it helps in the secretion of saliva, but be careful as it must be sugar-free.
– When breathing, the mouth should be closed and breathing completely through the nose only.
– Eliminate caffeinated beverages such as coffee and tea.
– Completely avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
Blue Medical Clinic in Turkey offers you:
– All cosmetic dental procedures, from laser teeth whitening to Hollywood smile, dental implants and veneers.
– All types of obesity surgeries and stomach botox in the hands of the best experts.
-Advanced hair transplantation techniques at competitive prices.
– All plastic surgeries, such as rhinoplasty and skin care.
– The best results, as our clinic is considered one of the best clinics for medical tourism in Turkey.
This was the most prominent and important information that interests you about the condition of dry mouth. We presented the causes and solutions that can be followed and some tips that must be taken into consideration.. It is a dangerous condition if it continues and is left untreated, but with the search for a suitable treatment and discovering the cause, the matter will be simple.
Related articles :
Hollywood smile in Istanbul
advantages of cosmetic dentistry in Turkey
Plastic surgery in Istanbul
Dental treatment cost in Turkey
advantages of laser teeth whitening in Istanbul
Types and risks of dental implants in Turkey
hair transplant techniques in Istanbul
Dental veneers in Turkey
Hair transplantation in Turkey
Types of orthodontics in Istanbul and their features